In News: Government on Wednesday launched a School Health Programme under Ayushman Bharat-Health & Wellness Centres.
About School Health Programme
- The School Health Programme under AYUSHMAN BHARAT is a joint collaborative programme between the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource & Development.
- This initiative is targeting both Education and Health implementers and is envisaged to facilitate an integrated approach to health programming and more effective learning at the school level.
- Two teachers in every school will be declared as “Health and Wellness Ambassadors” preferably one male and one female and who will transact one hour every weekly health promotion and disease prevention information in the form of interactive activities.
- Every Tuesday may be dedicated as Health and Wellness Day in the schools.
- This initiative will aim to strengthen the existing programs: Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK) and Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram (RKSK) by strengthening the preventive and promotive aspects of health in environment of schools in line with the overall approach of Ayushman Bharat.
- These activities will reach about 26 crore school children and through them, their families and communities to accelerate better health outcomes and sustainable development in the country.
- To provide age appropriate information about health and nutrition to the children in schools.
- To promote healthy behaviors among the children that they will inculcate for life.
- To detect and treat diseases early in children and adolescents including identification of malnourished and anemic children with appropriate referrals to PHCs and hospitals.
- To promote use of safe drinking water in schools
- To promote safe menstrual hygiene practices by girls
- To promote yoga and meditation through Health & Wellness Ambassadors.
- To encourage research on health, wellness and nutrition for children.
- The school health promotion activities will be implemented in all the government and government aided schools in the country. .
- This will be achieved through the joint efforts and close coordination between the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Human Resource and Development at all levels (Centre and State).
About Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY)
- AB-PMJAY is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme having central sector components under Ayushman Bharat Mission anchored in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- Implementation by: National Health Authority (NHA)
- This is the “world’s largest government funded healthcare program” targeting more than 50 crore beneficiaries.
- The Ayushman Bharat programme was launched in 2018 to address health issues at all levels – primary, secondary, and tertiary.
- It has two components:
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY), earlier known as the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS)
- Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs)
- Ayushman Bharat is an integrated approach comprising health insurance and primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare.
- The HWCs are aimed at improving access to cheap and quality healthcare services at the primary level.
- PM-JAY will cover the financial protection for availing healthcare services at the secondary and tertiary levels.
- Ayushman Bharat is the largest government-funded healthcare programme in the world with over 50 crore beneficiaries.