Why in news?
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has approved a new scheme – ‘Scheme for Trans-disciplinary Research for India’s Developing Economy’ (STRIDE).
Ministry: Ministry of HRD
- STRIDE will provide support to research projects that are socially relevant, locally need- based, nationally important and globally significant.
- To identify young talent, strengthen research culture, build capacity, promote innovation and support trans-disciplinary research for India’s developing economy and national development.
- To fund multi institutional network high-impact research projects in humanities and human sciences.
- Component-1 will endeavour to identify the motivated young talents with research and innovation aptitude in universities and colleges.
- Component-2 will be mainly to enhance problem solving skills with help of social innovation and action research to improve well being of people and contribute for India’s developing economy.
- Component-3 will fund high impact research projects in the identified thrust areas inhumanities and human sciences through a national network of eminent scientists from leading institutions.