Source: Press Information Bureau
The Government of India has implemented a Central Sector Scheme for Rehabilitation of Bonded Labourer, 2016 for providing rehabilitation assistance to the released bonded labour.
As per the scheme , financial assistance to the tune of Rs. 1,00,000, Rs. 2,00,000/-, Rs. 3,00,000/- are provided to released bonded labourers based on their category and level of exploitation. In addition to the financial assistance, the beneficiaries are also entitled for the following:
- Allotment of House/site & agricultural land
- Land development
- Provision of low cost dwelling Units.
- Animal husbandry, dairy, poultry, piggery etc.
- Wage employment, enforcement of minimum wages etc.
- Collection and processing of minor forest products.
- Supply of essential commodities under targeted public distribution system.
- Education for children.
- Any other Welfare Scheme of State/Central Govt.
Other legal provisions related to Child labour in India
Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Amendment Act, 2016 :
- The Amendment Act Inter alia provides for complete prohibition of work or employment of children below 14 years in any occupation and process and prohibition of adolescents in the age group of 14 to 18 years in hazardous occupations and processes.
- The Amendment Act also provides stricter punishment for employers for violation of the Act and has made the offence as cognizable.
National Child Labour Project Scheme-1988:
- Under the NCLP Scheme, children in the age group of 9-14 years are rescued/withdrawn from work and enrolled in the NCLP Special Training Centers, where they are provided with bridge education, vocational training, mid-day meal, stipend, health care, etc. before being mainstreamed into formal education system.
- The objectives of the NCLP Scheme are given below:
- To eliminate all forms of child labour.
- To identify and withdraw of all child and adolescent workers in the project area from child labour.
- To contribute to the withdrawal of all young workers from occupation and facilitating them with vocational training opportunities for such adolescents through the existing scheme of skill developments.
- To create awareness amongst stakeholders, target communities, the orientation of NCLP and other functionaries on the issues of child labour.
- To create monitoring, tracking and reporting system in Child Labour.