In News: The Assam government has decided to shut down all government madrasas and Sanskrit tols to reinvent themselves as higher and higher secondary schools.
About Scheme For Providing Quality Education In Madrasa (SPQEM)
Ministry: Ministry of Human Resource Development
Aim:The scheme for providing quality education in Madrasas has been recast after taking into account the inputs of the Expert Committee of NMCME.
- The objective of the Scheme is to encourage traditional institutions like Madrasas and Maktabs by giving financial assistance to introduce science, mathematics, social studies, Hindi and English in their curriculum so that academic proficiency for classes I-XII is attainable for children studying in these institutions. However, the process of modernization of traditional Madrasas and Maktabs will be voluntary.
- The scheme will provide opportunities to students of these institutions to acquire education comparable to the National Education System especially for secondary and senior secondary levels. This will enable children studying in these institutions to progress to higher levels of learning and also open up better job opportunities for them. Maktaba/Madrasas/Dar-ul-Ulooms can opt to become accredited study centres with the National Institutions of Open Schooling (NIOS) for primary and middle levels of education or/and for secondary and senior secondary levels as well. Assistance would be given to Maktabs, Madrasas and Dar-ul-Uloom for activities, which contribute to these objectives.
- The scheme also will seek to provide opportunities for vocational training for children studying in Madrasas opting for assistance above 14 years of age, to enhance their opportunities for entering the job market and encourage entrepreneurship.
- The scheme will also strengthen State Madrasa Boards opting for assistance, by enabling them to monitor the Madrasa modernization programme and enhance awareness about education among the muslim community.
- The scheme will address in-service training of teachers appointed under the scheme, for teaching modern subjects of science, mathematics, social studies,Hindi and English, to improve their pedagogical skills.
- The SQPEM is a demand driven scheme.
- The Scheme will endeavour to cover a total of 4,500-6,000 Madrasas and provide honorarium to about 13,500-18,000 teachers in
- Madrasas all over the country during the 11th Plan period.
- This will include Madrasas for which recurring grant will be given in continuation and the new Madrasas covered. It is expected that a total of about 7 lakh students of Madrasas will pursue modern education in addition to their traditional education.
- Madrasas which have been in existence at least for three years and registered under Central or State Government Acts or Madrasa Board or with Waqf Boards or NIOS shall be eligible to apply for assistance under this programme.
- All Madrasas opting to be covered by distance education mode and availing of government grants will need to be accredited with the NIOS. Madrasas applying for financial assistance under the scheme to the State Government would have to provide documentary evidence of their affiliation/accreditation to the State Madrasa Boards/NIOS. The Madrasa would for this purpose send an application for accreditation/affiliation to NIOS. Once the Madrasa has been accredited by the NIOS, as study centers the NIOS shall take thereafter, all necessary steps for conducting the academic activities of the study centres in such Madrasas.
- Training will be arranged in groups for Madrasa teachers appointed under the scheme by SCERTs/DIETs/BRCs and the funds for this purpose will be provided to the training institutions through the State Government. Submission of certificate for successful completion of training duly signed by the representative of the training institution will need to be maintained by the State Government and furnished to the Central Grant-in-aid Committee annually.
- Madrasas with respect to whom expenditure on account of honorarium of the teachers is met by the State Government will not be eligible for salary component under the scheme. However, such Madrasas will be eligible for financial assistance under other components of the scheme.
- Madrasas receiving financial assistance for teacher training, text books, computers,science/maths kits etc. from any other State/Central Scheme will not be eligible for that component under this scheme.