In News: The government has approved seven projects to create infrastructure for agro-processing clusters with an estimated cost of ₹235 crore under the Scheme for Creation of Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Cluster (APC).
About Scheme for Creation of Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Cluster (APC)
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has formulated the Scheme for Creation of Infrastructure for Agro Processing Clusters as a sub-scheme of Central Sector Scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)’.
- The scheme aims at development of modern infrastructure to encourage entrepreneurs to set up food processing units based on cluster approach.
- The scheme is to be implemented in the area of horticulture/agriculture production identified through a mapping exercise.
- The clusters will help in reducing the wastage of the surplus produce and add value to the horticultural/agricultural produce which will result in increase of income of the farmers and create employment at the local level- agro processing cluster MOFPI.
Components of the Scheme
- Basic enabling infrastructure: It will include site development including development of industrial plots, boundary wall, roads, drainage, water supply, electricity supply including power backup, effluent treatment plant, parking bay, weigh bridges, common office space etc.
- Core infrastructure: The common facilities will be based on the needs of the units which will be set up in these clusters.
- The common facilities of capital intensive nature may include food testing laboratory, cleaning, grading, sorting and packing facilities, steam generation boilers, dry warehouse, cold storage, pre-cooling chambers, ripening chambers, IQF, specialized packaging, other common processing facilities, etc.
Pattern of Assistance under the Scheme
- The Scheme envisages grants-in-aid @ 35% of eligible project cost in general areas and @ 50% of eligible project cost in the North East States including Sikkim and difficult areas namely Himalayan States.
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana
- In 2016, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) introduced an umbrella Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters (SAMPADA), which was proposed to be implemented with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 crores for the period of 2016-20.
- In 2017, it was renamed as the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY).
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- To supplement agriculture.
- To create processing and preservation capacities.
- To modernise and expand existing food processing units with a view to increasing the level of processing.
- To add value leading to the reduction of wastage.
Seven component schemes under PMKSY
- Mega Food Parks.
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure.
- Infrastructure for APC.
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages.
- Creation/Expansion of Food Processing and Preservation Capacities.
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure.
- Human Resources and Institutions.
Under PMKSY, capital subsidy in the form of grants-in-aid ranging from 35% to 75% of the eligible project cost subject to a maximum specified limit is provided to investors under the various schemes for undertaking infrastructure, logistic projects and setting up of food processing units in the country.