Source: PIB & National portal of India
Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana –“Saubhagya” scheme was launched by the government of India to ensure electrification(electricity connections) of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas
Aim and objectives
- The objective of the ‘Saubhagya’ is to provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country.
- The beneficiaries for free electricity connections would be identified using the Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data. However, un-electrified households not covered under the SECC data would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs. 500 which shall be recovered by DISCOMs in 10 installments through electricity bill.
- The solar power packs of 200 to 300 Wp with battery bank for un-electrified households located in remote and inaccessible areas, comprises of Five LED lights, One DC fan, One DC power plug. It also includes Repair and Maintenance (R&M) for 5 years.
- The scheme will provide subsidy on equipment such as transformers, wires, and meters.
- Ministry of Power would be the implementing authority of the scheme.
- Power connection will be provided in both rural and urban areas of the country.
Earlier programme of 24×7 power for all VS Saubhagya scheme
- 24×7 Power for All’ is a joint initiative with the states covering all segments of power sector i.e. Power generation, transmission and distribution, energy efficiency, the health of Discom, etc. to finalize State/UT specific roadmap and action plan to ensure 24×7 power for all in consultation with States/UTs. The Power for All documents contain details of various interventions required across the value chain of the power sector.
- Providing connectivity to all households is a prerequisite to ensure 24×7 power supply. Saubhagya is a schematic support to address the issue of energy access.
- For easy & accelerated implementation of the Scheme, modern technology shall be used for the household surveys by using Mobile App.
- Beneficiaries shall be identified and their application for electricity connection along with applicant photograph and identity proof shall be registered on spot.
- The Gram Panchayat/Public institutions in the rural areas may be authorized to collect application forms along with complete documentation, distribute bills and collect revenue in consultation with the Panchayat Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies.
- The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) will remain the nodal agency for the operationalization of the scheme throughout the country.
Significance of Saubhagya
- Access to electricity to all willing households
- Substitution to Kerosene
- Improvement in Health Services
- Improvement in Communications
- Improvement in Public Safety
- Increased Job Opportunities
- Better Quality of Life, especially for Women, in Daily Chores