In news: Under the SATHI scheme, several centers are being set up to house major analytical instruments to provide common services of high-end analytical testing.
About the scheme-
- These centers are initiated under the ‘Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI)’ scheme of the Department of Science and Technology.
- They will address the need for building shared, professionally managed, and strong S&T infrastructure in the country which is readily accessible to academia, start-ups, manufacturing, industry and R&D labs.
- Three such centers set up at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi and BHU Varanasi, are being operated with a transparent, open access policy.
- DST has planned to set up five SATHI Centers every year for the next four years.
- These Centres will be equipped with a major analytical instrument and advanced manufacturing facility, which is usually not available at Institutes / Organisations.
- This effort is expected to reach out much needed less endowed organisations like MSMEs, Start-ups, State Universities and Colleges fostering a strong culture of research collaboration between institutions.
Aims and Objectives-
- To provide a shared, professionally managed services and strong Science and Technology infrastructure / facilities, with efficiency, accessibility and transparency of highest order under one roof.
- SATHI will have facilities for fabrication work, rapid prototyping, material testing, characterisation, new device fabrication, smart manufacturing and characterisation facilities etc., to attract and help R&D labs, industrial R&D, MSME, Incubators, Start-ups, etc…
- To organise short term courses / workshops / seminars, hands-on training programme etc. on the use and application of various instruments and techniques for both External and Internal Users / Researchers.
- To train technicians for maintenance and operation of sophisticated scientific instruments and keep a record book of these people trained.