The Union Minister for Rural Development, Panchayati Raj inaugurated the SARAS IITF Mela 2019 at Pragati maidan, New Delhi.
- SARAS Mela is an initiative by the DeendayalAntyodayaYojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM), Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Government of India with an objective to bring the rural women SHG members formed under DAY-NRLM, in one platform to showcase their skills, sell and build linkages with potential market players.
- The Fair aims to eradicate middlemen between the craftsperson and the local buyers and ensures to increase the margins for the artisans.
- SARAS Fair also aims at facilitating and motivating the beneficiaries of Self Help Groups (SHGs) supported by DAYNRLM schemes of Ministry of Rural Development to exhibit and sell their products and provide them with an opportunity for additional income, exposure, and interaction on a large scale.
- SARAS Mela not only provides a platform to these SHG women, but it also provides a national level exposure to understand the demand and taste of the urban customers in metros.
- The SARAS IITF Mela is being organized by the Council for Advancement of People’s Action and Rural Technology (CAPART) along with DAY-NRLM, MoRD.
- The SARAS-IITF Mela 2019 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi was organized by the Ministry of Rural Development from 14th to 27th November 2019.
- Many artisans from different states have showcased a wide range of curated collection of products like handicrafts, handlooms and natural food products
- SARAS-IITF 2019 displayed a large variety of handloom and handicraft items made by SHG members of DAY-NRLM, MoRD across States.
- Some of the special attractions in SARAS IITF 2019, PragatiMaidan this year were natural food items, handicrafts, and handloom.