In news: A nationwide initiative, Saksham 2021 to be held from January 16-February 15
What is Saksham and who organizes it?
- Saksham (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav) is an annual flagship event of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India , with active involvement of the Oil & Gas PSUs along with other stakeholders like State Governments, for creating focused attention on fuel conservation through people centric activities and to sensitize the masses about the conservation and efficient use of petroleum products leading to better health and environment.
- The campaign is aimed at showing the way forward for making a change and enhancing the fuel conservation capabilities of people.
- It is to help understand the significance and need for fuel conservation and find solutions for adoption of green and clean energy.
What is the theme of this year’s edition?
The theme for this year’s Saksham drive is “Clean and Green Energy”
Who are supporting it?
National oil marketing companies Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL), Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) and the country’s largest gas distribution company GAIL are supporting the programme.
About Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA)
- PCRA is a registered society set up under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India. As a non-profit organization, PCRA is a national government agency engaged in promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of the economy.
- It helps the government in proposing policies and strategies for petroleum conservation, aimed at reducing excessive dependence of the country on oil requirement.
- Over the years, PCRA has enlarged its role in improving productivity in the use of various sources of energy.
- PCRA undertakes studies to identify the potential and to make recommendations for achieving the conservation of petroleum products in various sectors of the economy.
- It sponsors R&D activities for the development of fuel-efficient equipment/devices and organizes multi-media campaigns for creating mass awareness for the conservation of petroleum products.
- Fuel oil utilization studies, energy audits, introduction of equipment bank concept, use of energy vans, development of oil consumption norms, model depot projects, driver training programs, workshops/ exhibitions, consumer meets, education films/TV spots, hoarding/ electronic display, distribution of printed literature, R&D projects are other activities.
- PCRA aims at making oil conservation a national movement.
- As part of its mandate, PCRA is entrusted with the task of creating awarenes amongst the masses about the importance, methods and benefits of conserving petroleum products & emission reduction.
- To take the message to the people, PCRA uses all possible and effective media for mass communication.
- These include electronic and press media e.g. TV, Radio, Electronic displays; Press at the National and State level printed literature for specific target groups; outdoor publicity through Hoarding, Bus panels, Kiosks, Balloons, Banners Tran-sliders etc.
- To give impetus to the oil conservation movement, PCRA utilizes various platforms like the World environment day, World energy day, various festivals etc.
Objectives of PCRA
- To formulate strategies and promote measures for accelerating conservation of petroleum products leading to environment protection, energy security and sustainable development.
- To create awareness among masses about the importance, benefits and methods of conserving petroleum products & clean environment by enhancing information and capacity building.
- To promote research, development and deployment efforts aimed at petroleum conservation & environment protection, support & facilitate efforts for adoption and dissemination of fuel efficient technologies and substitution of petroleum products with alternate fuels and renewable.
- To establish synergistic institutional linkages at the national & international levels in the areas of petroleum conservation & environment protection.
- To provide training and technical advisory services, designed to achieve economy & efficiency in use of petroleum products for cleaner environment.
- To function as a Think Tank to the Govt. of India for proposing policies and strategies on petroleum conservation and environment protection aimed at reducing excessive dependence on oil.