Recently, an IPS officer has come under the scanner for trying to access classified information on the tendering process related to Nirbhaya Safe City Project in Bengaluru
What is a safe city project?
- It is a mission mode initiative of MHA under the Nirbhaya Funds scheme for safety of women
- The proposal for the Safe City Project, which has been in the thick of a controversy of late, was made by the police in 2013. But it was approved by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs only in 2018.
- The Safe City project aims to create a safe, secure and empowering environment for women in public places, to enable them to pursue all opportunities without the threat of gender-based violence and/or harassment.
- It also aims to prevent and curb all forms of crimes against women and girl children in public places by providing safer urban infrastructure and efficient access to law enforcement agencies.
- It includes installation of CCTV cameras, surveillance systems, panic buttons and GIS mapping of crimes in the city.
- The cost of the projects is shared between the Central Government and the concerned States in 60:40 ratio. The Safe City Project in Delhi is fully funded by the Central Government.
Which cities have been selected for the project?
- Eight cities have been identified for implementation of this project in the first phase, under the Nirbhaya Fund, at an estimated cost of Rs.2919.55 crore.
- These are Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Lucknow.
|What is the Nirbhaya Fund?