SAFAR(System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research)
- It is a state-of-the-art Air Quality and Weather Forecast System.
- The giant true color LED display gives out real-time air quality index on 24×7 bases with color coding along with 72-hour advance forecast.
- The system, first of its kind in the country, is developed indigenously by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune and operationalized by India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- The mission mode project has been implemented in four cities of India – Delhi, Pune, Mumbai and Ahmedabad as an operational service.
- The system is an integral part of India’s first Air Quality Early Warning System operational in Delhi.
- SAFAR will accelerate public awareness and preparedness of air pollution and weather extremes.
- It will also lead to better understanding of linkages among emissions, weather, pollution and climate.
- In addition to regular air quality parameters like PM2.5, PM10, Sulfur Dioxide, Ozone, Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxide, the system will also monitor the existence of Benzene, Toluene and Xylene.
- Besides health, the SAFAR system would benefit cost savings to several other sectors like agriculture, aviation, infrastructure, disaster management skill, tourism etc…
- Monitored Meteorological Parameters: UV Radiation, Rainfall, Temperature, Humidity, Wind speed, Wind direction, solar.
- The World Meteorological Organization has recognized SAFAR as a prototype activity on the basis of the high-quality control and standards maintained in its implementation.