In news– The Telangana state government started crediting money to farmers’ bank accounts under 8th phase of Rythu Bandhu Scheme from 28th December, 2021.
About the scheme-
- Launched in 2018, Rythu Bandhu (Agriculture Investment Support Scheme) is Telangana government’s direct benefit transfer scheme for farmers.
- Under the scheme, each farmer gets Rs 5,000 per acre per crop season without any ceiling on the number of acres held.
- The grant helps them cover the expenses on input requirements such as seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and labour.
- The Agriculture Extension Officers (AEO) supervises the Rythu Bandhu cheques distribution at village level.
- This scheme is based on anticipated input expenditure for each acre of land and there is no restriction on the number of acres owned by a farmer.
- This is the first direct farmer investment support scheme in India, where the cash is paid directly whereas PM-KISAN only provides support to the family and not to the farm units.