China and Russia have rejected U.S calls for a ‘rule-based order’, which was endorsed by the QUAD summit, and have proposed setting up a new regional security dialogue platform to address security concerns of countries in the region. The proposal came following a meeting between Russian Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi.
- Decisions of the meeting
- Impact on Global and Regional Politics
- Impact on India
Decisions of the Meeting:
- A meeting was held between Foreign Minister Wang Yi of China and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov in the southern Chinese city of Guilin
- It was held days after the U.S.- China summit in Alaska and the leaders’ summit of the Quad (India, Australia, Japan and the U.S.)
- China and Russia have proposed the establishment of a regional security dialogue platform to converge a new consensus on resolving the security concerns of countries in the region.
- China and Russia rejected U.S. calls for “a rules-based order” – a call endorsed by the Quad summit
- They instead said “all countries should follow the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations” and “uphold true multilateralism, make international relations more democratic, and accept and promote peaceful coexistence and common development of countries with different social systems and development paths.”
- the two ministers said the international community believes that the US should reflect on the damage it has done to global peace and development in recent years, halt unilateral bullying and stop forming small circles to seek bloc confrontation
- The two-day dialogue covered a range of issues including Afghanistan, the Iranian nuclear issue, climate change and “the Asia-Pacific situation”, the press release said.
- there was no elaboration on the contours of the regional security dialogue platform
- The announcement came just days after the U.S.-China summit in Alaska and the leaders’ summit of the Quad (India, Australia, Japan and the U.S.)
- In this meeting, America was completely targeted by China and Russia. America has been warned about forming small groups, the gesture is towards groups of four countries.
- The proposal of the Regional Security Forum is also being seen on the lines of the QUAD itself.
- The close proximity of Russia and China and the challenge posed by the QUAD has given rise to the idea of a separate platform for regional security.
- The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue , also known as QUAD, is an informal political dialogue group between the US, India, Japan and Australia.
- In 2007, Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe proposed it for the first time, which was supported by India, America and Australia. After this, they had a meeting in 2021.
- The reason behind the establishment of the Quad is said to be preventing the growing influence of China. The US sees China as a growing challenge.
- From the trade war between the two countries, the rhetoric has surfaced openly many times in internal matters.
- At the same time, Australia and Japan also have a confrontation with China in the South China Sea.
- India’s border dispute with China is years old and recently the borders of both countries are present face to face on the border in Ladakh.
- The four member countries have come together on a platform in the region of India, America, Australia and Japan through the Quad Security Dialogue.
Impact on Global and Regional Politics:
- In the changing geopolitical environment, these new alliances are expected to affect the entire region.
- While America is looking for its allies in Asia, China and Russia will also start looking for their allies. Then there will be a challenge in front of many countries as to which side they would like to go.
- the world seems to be going into a cold war-like situation, this time around which is Asia.
- China is associated with other countries at the economic level and the US at the military level. Therefore, in future, there will be a challenge in front of all the countries that how to balance between America and China.
- Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan or Eurasian countries could join China and Russia. They may also get support from North Korea. There is a new kind of boil in international politics
- These conditions will force the formation of such organizations or alliances that will give the appearance of cold war.
- However, it must also be noted that China and America are also dependent on each other at the trade level which was not there during the Soviet Union.
- At the same time, China has not yet become so powerful that it can directly challenge America.
Impact on India:
- India is also not untouched by the challenge that is going to be faced by Asian countries. From now on, there is a situation of confusion for India.
- India is involved in SCO and RIC (Russia, India and China) group and also in Quad. If the situation gets more serious then the question will arise – how can India live together in both.
- Another challenge before India is about Russia. There has been a lot of intensification in the relations between Russia and India.
- Russia has always supported India on international forums. At the same time, India purchases most of its weapons from Russia.
- Russia is growing friendship with China and has also recently conducted military exercises with Pakistan.
- Due to this, it has become more difficult for India to strike a balance between their new friend (USA) and old friend (Russia).
- The basis of China-Russia relations is the Western opposition in which India cannot support because in the deadlock with China, America has openly supported India while Russia has tried for reconciliation. Here the interests of both the countries collide completely.
- The Indian government must think on how to maintain our interest in this uncertain world.
Mould your thought: There is no cold war situation yet, but the world is definitely divided. Evaluate the statement with respect to the QUAD and Russia – China new security dialogue platform.
Approach to the answer:
- Discuss the current world scenario
- Discuss the reasons for QUAD and the retaliation by Russia and China
- Discuss the Impact of these on the World and Regional Politics