Source: Press Information Bureau
The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti, GoI launched the 10 Year Rural Sanitation Strategy (2019-2029), which focuses on sustaining the sanitation behavior change that has been achieved under the Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBM-G), ensuring that no one is left behind, and increasing access to solid and liquid waste management.
Key features of the strategy
- This strategy has been prepared by DDWS, in consultation with State Governments and other stakeholders, and it lays down a framework to guide local governments, policy makers, implementers and other relevant stakeholders in their planning for ODF Plus, where everyone uses a toilet, and every village has access to solid and liquid waste management.
- This strategy book is a framework to sustain the efforts of the SBM-G.
- The 10 year strategy focuses on the need for States/UTs to continue their efforts to sustain the gains of the mission(SBM-G) through capacity strengthening, IEC (Information, education and communication), organic waste management, plastic waste management, grey water management and black water management.
- The strategy also speaks about potential collaborations with development partners, civil society and inter-government partnerships.
- It also highlights innovative models for sanitation financing.