In News: Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways (MoPSW) has accorded administrative approval for developing all-weather ROPAX (Roll-on/Roll-off Passenger) Jetty and allied infrastructure connecting Kaninali in Bhadrak district &Talachua in Kendrapara district, Odisha under the Sagarmala initiative.
About RO-PAX jetty project in Odisha
- The Government of Odisha will fund another 50% cost of the project.
- The total capital cost of the project is Rs 110.60 crore which includes construction of RO-PAX Jetty at Kaninali and Talachua, utility infrastructures such as parking area development, navigational aids and dredging.
- Kaninali in Bhadrak district and Talachua in Kendrapada district, are located on the northern and southern banks of River Dhamra respectively.
- The people of Talachua and nearby villages largely depend upon Dhamra port for their livelihood, which is approximately 4 kms from Kaninali Ghat. Since there is no connectivity through roads, the local population depends upon passenger ferries at ghats of Kaninali and Talachua to cross the river (a stretch of 7 Km).
Significance Of Project
- This project will reduce travel time for passengers from 6 hours by road to 1 hour by waterway.
- This project will enhance the safety of passengers and vehicles with state-of-the-art utility infrastructure.
- The connectivity will increase the commercial and business activities and uplift the socio-economic status of the surrounding region.