In news- The Union Minister of Jal Shakti in partnership with Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched the River Cities Alliance recently
About the River Cities Alliance(RCA)-
- It is the first-of-its-kind dedicated platform for river cities in India.
- It will focus on three broad themes- Networking, Capacity Building and Technical Support.
- The Secretariat of the Alliance will be set up at the National Institute for Urban Affairs (NIUA), with National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) support.
- The primary objective of RCA is to provide the member cities with a platform to discuss and exchange information on aspects that are vital for sustainable management of urban rivers such as:
- Minimizing their water footprint.
- Reducing impacts on river and water bodies.
- Capitalizing on natural, intangible, architectural heritage and associated services.
- Develop self-sufficient, self-sustainable water resources through recycle, reuse strategy.
- It will work towards adopting and localizing national policies and instruments with key river-related directions, prepare their Urban River Management Plans and develop city-specific sectoral strategies that are required for sustainable urban river management.
- The Alliance gives opportunities to these cities to strengthen governance aspects for river cities and improves their liveability to attract external economic investments.
- It will also provide opportunities to access state of the art knowledge and frameworks as well as an opportunity to serve as the site for unique demonstration projects which will be implemented by NIUA and NMCG.
- The 30 member cities include Haridwar, Rishikesh, Kanpur, Ayodhya, Patna, Howrah, Ayodhya, Varanasi, Prayagraj, etc. from Ganga basin states and Aurangabad, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bhubaneshwar, Pune, Udaipur, Vijayawada, etc. from non-Ganga basin states.
National Institute for Urban Affairs (NIUA)-
- It is India’s leading national think tank for research, training and information dissemination in urban planning, development and management .
- It was established in 1976 as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.
- As a hub for the generation and dissemination of cutting-edge research in the urban sector, NIUA seeks to provide innovative solutions to address the challenges of a fast urbanising India, and pave the way for more inclusive and sustainable cities of the future.