In news– Recently Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has unveiled a remote-controlled armed robot REX MKII.
About REX MKII-
- The army robot is capable of patrolling battle zones, tracking infiltrators, and opening fire on enemy targets.
- It is operated by an electronic tablet and can be equipped with two machine guns, cameras and sensors.
- The multi-mission Rex MK II is intended to support infantry ground forces in various stages of fighting.
- This includes providing logistical assistance to troops by carrying ammunition supplies, critical medical equipment, water, and food, as well as evacuating injured personnel on stretchers.
- The system can also gather intelligence through a situation-awareness system that incorporates electro-optical sensors and radar.
- The tablet can control the vehicle manually, but many of its functions, including its movement and surveillance system, can also run autonomously.
- The Israeli drone vehicle was showcased at this week’s Defense and Security System International arms trade show in London 2021.
- The unmanned vehicle is the latest addition to the world of drone technology, which is rapidly reshaping the modern battlefield.
- These semi-autonomous machines allow armies to protect their soldiers, while critics fear this marks another dangerous step toward robots making life-or-death decisions.
Other operational unmanned platforms developed by IAI including:
- The Jaguar, an unmanned land platform for defending borders, gathering intelligence and carrying out attacks.
- The RobARC, an operational unmanned platform for uncovering and destroying ground level and subterranean explosive devices.
- The Robattle – a robotic operational land platform with high maneuverability, carrying out complex missions in difficult conditions, quickly and safely.
The RobDozer – an unmanned bulldozer intended to carry out complex military engineering in danger zones.