Recently Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy inaugurated the Northern Region Renewable Energy Management Centre (NR-REMC) at a function in New Delhi.
The Government of India’s target of 175 GW RE Capacity by 2022 driving accelerated RE penetration poses challenges to the grid management due to the intermittent and variable nature of RE generation. The Government of India had approved the implementation of the REMCs as a Central Scheme and had mandated POWERGRID, a Maharatna CPSE under the Ministry of Power as Implementing Agency.
Renewable Energy Management Centers (REMCs)
- On the occasion, the Minister dedicated to the nation, eleven REMCs, placing India among a league of few nations, which have state-of-the-art management centers for renewable energy integration.
- The renewable energy management centers are equipped with Artificial Intelligence based RE forecasting and scheduling tools and provide greater visualization and enhanced situational awareness to the grid operators.
- REMCs are co-located with the State Load Dispatch Centers (SLDCs) in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat & Rajasthan and in RLDCs at Bengaluru, Mumbai and New Delhi and at the NLDC.
- Presently, 55 GW of Renewable (Solar and Wind) is being monitored through the eleven REMCs.
- These REMCs are being managed by Power System Operation Corporation of India Ltd. (POSOCO) at Regional and National level and at State level by State Load Despatch Centres (SLDCs).