Source: PIB & IDSA
The Government has decided to rename ‘The Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses’ (IDSA) as ‘Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies andAnalyses’. The decision has been taken to honour the commitment and legacy of late Manohar Parrikar.
- An autonomous body under the Ministry of Defence, IDSA was established as a registered society in New Delhi in 1965, dedicated to objective research and policy relevant studies on all aspects of defence and security.
- Mission: Its aim is to promote national and international security through the generation and dissemination of knowledge on defence and security-related issues.
- To achieve its goals, the institute undertakes scholarly research, policy-oriented research, dissemination of research findings, training and capacity building and public education.
- The IDSA has a well-qualified multi-disciplinary research faculty drawn from academia, defence forces etc., representing a diversity of views. Research at the Institute is driven by a comprehensive agenda and the need to provide impartial analyses and policy recommendations.
- Forum of debate: Since its inception, IDSA has served as a forum to debate important aspects of national and international security.
- The institute conducts several national and international conferences every year and regularly holds round tables and workshops on important developments.
- Training: MP-IDSA provides annual training programmes to civilian and military officers of the Government of India. Lectures by experts from the institute and from outside form the core of these programmes.
- Governance: MP-IDSA is governed by an Executive Council, whose members are distinguished personalities from various walks of life.
- Funding: MP-IDSA is funded by the Indian Ministry of Defence.