The office of the Registrar General of India (RGI) has said the schedule or the questionnaire of the National Population Register (NPR) is “being finalised”
About Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India(RGCCI)
- RGCCI was b\founded by Ministry of Home Affairs in 1961
- The Ministry constituted it for arranging, conducting and analysing the results of the demographic surveys of India including Census of India and Linguistic Survey of India.
- The position of Registrar is usually held by a civil servant holding the rank of Joint Secretary.
History of Indian Census
- The Indian Census is the largest single source of a variety of statistical information on different characteristics of the people of India.
- With a history of more than 130 years, this reliable, time tested exercise has been bringing out a veritable wealth of statistics every 10 years, beginning from 1872 when the first census was conducted in India non-synchronously in different parts
- But first synchronous census in India was held in 1881.
- The responsibility of conducting the decennial Census rests with the Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India under Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
- The Census Organisation was set up on an ad-hoc basis for each Census till the 1951 Census.
- The Census Act was enacted in 1948 to provide for the scheme of conducting population census with duties and responsibilities of census officers.
- The Government of India decided in May 1949 to initiate steps for developing systematic collection of statistics on the size of population, its growth, etc., and established an organisation in the Ministry of Home Affairs under Registrar General and ex-Officio Census Commissioner, India.
- This organisation was made responsible for generating data on population statistics including Vital Statistics and Census.
- Later, this office was also entrusted with the responsibility of implementation of Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969 in the country.