In news : Recently, the first consignment of ‘red rice’ was flagged off to the USA.
What is red rice?
Red rice can be any of multiple varieties of rice that are high in anthocyanin, an antioxidant pigment that dyes the bran of the rice grain a reddish color
Key updates on the rice export
- The red rice is being sourced by leading rice exporter – LT Foods.
- As the exports of ‘red rice’ grow, it would enhance the incomes of farming families of the Brahmaputra flood plains
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) is promoting rice exports through collaborations with various stakeholders in the value chains
- The government had set up the Rice Export Promotion Forum (REPF), under the aegis of the APEDA.
- REPF has representations from rice industry, exporters, officials from APEDA, ministry of commerce and directors of agriculture from major rice producing states including West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh and Odisha
About the Assam’s Red rice
- Iron-rich ‘red rice’ is grown in the Brahmaputra valley of Assam, without the use of any chemical fertilizer
- This variety is referred as ‘Bao-dhaan in Assam
- Bao-dhaan is a deep water rice, it is cultivated on low ,swampy lands and flood prone areas .
- The rice having a high content of iron, protein, vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, thiamine, niacin, manganese and is high in fibre.
- There are several varieties of Bao rice in Assam such as Neghari-Bao, Dal-Bao, Panindraand Maguri-Bao,Padmatai, Panikekoa, Padmanath, Sabita, Rangi-Bao, Badal, etc
- Bao rice growing areas are Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Sibsagar districts and Majuli etc