Context: Bharat Electronics Ltd, a public sector undertaking, has commissioned the first phase of the real-time train information system for Indian Railways
- The system has been commissioned through the Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS), under the technical guidance of Space Applications Centre at ISRO.
- The technology of the Locomotive Device has been developed in India. The entire application software, including the HUB Network Monitoring System (NMS), has been developed inhouse by Bharat Electronics.
- RTIS provides real-time positional information of locomotives to the Railways. It facilitates the automatic acquisition of train movement data, including that of arrival, departure and run-through timings, at the stations en route.
- It will help increase the operational efficiency and improve passenger safety
- The control chart of trains, which has RTIS-enabled locomotives, gets plotted automatically in the Control Office Application system of the Railways.
- The Train Controllers can, without any manual intervention, accurately track the location and speed of RTIS-enabled locomotives and trains. Not only does the system facilitate smooth control of trains, but it also optimises traffic management, improves operational efficiency and pre-empts accidents.