Prime Minister addresses RE-INVEST 2020
About RE-INVEST 2020
- The 3rd Global RE-INVEST Renewable Energy Investors Meet & Expo is organized by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) and it is being held from 26 – 28 November 2020
- RE-INVEST 2020, themed ‘Innovations for Sustainable Energy Transition’ aims to accelerate the worldwide effort to scale up development and deployment of renewable energy and connect the global investment community with Indian energy stakeholders.
- It is a 3-day conference on renewables and future energy choices, and an exhibition of manufacturers, developers, investors and innovators.
- RE-INVEST 2020 is expected to be attended by over 75 international Ministerial delegations, over 1000 global industry leaders, and 50,000 delegates.
- A second plenary of the ‘One Sun One World One Grid’—that seeks to transfer solar power generated in one region to feed the electricity demands of others—has also been planned during the RE-Invest
Renewable energy target by India
India has a plan to achieve 175 gigawatts (GW) by 2022 and 450GW by 2030 as part of its climate commitments. Of this, while 89 GW has been installed, 48 GW is under implementation and another 26 GW is being bid out.
Current status of renewable energy in India
- India’s renewable power capacity is the 4th largest in the world.
- It is growing at the fastest speed among all major countries.
- The renewable energy capacity in India is currently 136 Giga Watts, which is about 36% of our total capacity
India’s target to reduce its carbon footprint
India plans to reduce its carbon footprint by 33-35% from its 2005 levels by 2030, as part of its commitments to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change adopted by 195 countries in Paris in 2015.