Source: PIB & www.india.gov.in
To provide senior citizens, belonging to BPL category and suffering from age related disabilities/ infirmities, with such physical aids and assisted living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions.
The Scheme is being implemented through ‘Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO)’, (a Public Sector Undertaking under this Ministry) as the sole implementing Agency
- Under the Scheme, aids & assisted living devices viz. walking sticks, elbow crutches, walkers/ crutches, tripods/ quad pods, hearing aids, wheelchairs, artificial dentures and spectacles are distributed free of cost to the eligible senior citizens beneficiaries.
- This is a Central Sector Scheme, fully funded by the Central Government.
- The Scheme is entirely funded from the Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund (SCWF), established vide Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund Rules, 2016(The expenditure for implementation of the scheme will be met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”)
- Under the scheme the beneficiaries in each district are identified by a team of doctors/technicians/other professionals to assess their needs and to prescribe the requisite Assisted Living Devices in the Assessment Camps organized by ALIMCO in collaboration with the respective District Administration.
- The State Government/UT Administration/District Level Committee can also utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The devices are then distributed to the identified beneficiaries in the camp mode.
- Further, regular communications are made from this Ministry to respective States/UTs Governments for extending cooperation to ALIMCO in organizing these Camps.
- As far as possible, 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- Eligibility: Senior Citizens, belonging to BPL category and suffering from any of the age related disability/infirmity viz. Low vision, Hearing impairment, Loss of teeth and Locomotor disability will be provided with such assisted-living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions, overcoming the disability/infirmity manifested. The Scheme is expected to benefit all Senior Citizens across the country