In news– The Central government distributed Assistive Aids and Devices to Senior Citizens under Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) recently.
About Rashtriya VayoshriYojana (RVY)-
- Launched in 2017, RVY is a Central Sector scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The expenditure for implementation of the scheme is being met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”.
- The Scheme is being implemented by the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Senior Citizens, belonging to BPL category and suffering from any of the age related disability/infirmity viz. Low vision, Hearing impairment, Loss of teeth and Locomotor disability will be provided with such assisted-living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions, overcoming the disability/infirmity manifested.
- In case of multiple disabilities/infirmities manifested in the same person, the assistive devices will be given in respect of each disability/impairment.
- ALIMCO will undertake one year free maintenance of the aids & assisted living devices.
- Beneficiaries in each district will be identified by the State Governments/UT Administrations through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector.
- As far as possible, 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- The State Government/UT Administration/District Level Committee can also utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
Note- As per the Census figures of 2011, the population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore. More than 70% of the population of senior citizens live in rural areas of the country. A sizable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age.