Source: Press Information Bureau
What is it?
- The RAA is a convergent framework across School Education and Higher Education to motivate children of the age group from 6-18 years in learning Science, Mathematics and Technology through observation, experimentation, inference drawing, model building, etc. both through inside and outside classroom activities and processes.
- It seeks to create curiosity, excitement and spirit of innovation and exploration amongst school children by encouraging higher education institutions to become Mentoring Institutions and assist secondary and elementary schools in the study of Science and Mathematics.
- It was launched in the year 2015
While emphasizing the primacy of the schools and classroom transactions, the RAA aims to leverage the potential for science, mathematics and technology learning in non-classroom settings. Beyond the four walls of a classroom, opportunities for science, mathematics and technology learning abound. Accordingly, the ‘Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA)” is planned to provide nourishing and nurturing support to and a platform for schools in a dual-track approach to make Science, Mathematics and Technology exciting to children and encourage them to have an enduring interest both inside the classroom and outside classroom activities
- To enable children to become motivated and engaged in Science, Mathematics and Technology (SMT) through observation, experimentation, inference drawing, model building, rational reasoning, testability etc.
- To create curiosity, excitement and exploration among school children in Science, Mathematics and Technology.
- To create a culture of thinking, inventing, tinkering and doing to promote enquiry based learning in Schools.
- To achieve learning levels appropriate to the class of study in Science and Mathematics.
- To encourage and nurture schools to be incubators of Innovation
The major interventions of RAA
Major interventions under RAA provided under Integrated scheme for School Education – Samagra Shiksha, include
- Conduct of Science Exhibition
- Book Fair
- Quiz Competition
- Exposure/study visits for students to Higher Education institutions
- Participation of students in Inter-school/State/National level Science & Maths Competitions/Olympiads.
- Strengthening of School Science and Mathematics laboratories.
- Use of teaching-learning equipment and material including Digital models and
- Use of technology in Science and Mathematics Teaching.
This is an on-going programme and is for the benefit of all the school students