Why in news?
Technion researchers of Israel Institute of Technology have designed a Ramanujan Computer.
What is this machine?
- It is a network of computers running algorithms devoted to conjecturing the continued fractions of fundamental constants.
- The machine has the purpose of producing conjectures (these are still unproven mathematical statements) that people can mathematically analyze and hopefully prove true.
- The machine is designed to inspire future generations of mathematicians.
- Born on December 22nd,1887 in Erode, Tamilnadu, the day is celebrated in his memory as the National Day of Mathematics.
- Famous British mathematician Godfrey Harold Hardy acknowledged his talent in 1913 and invited Ramanujam to Cambridge.
- Ramanujan made significant contributions and worked on elliptical functions to analytic number theories.
- He worked on the whole number division, hypergeometric series and the constant of Euler as well.
- He published his papers in English and European journals and was elected to the Royal Society of London in 1918.
- He died after a long illness on 26 April 1920, in India.