The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved restructuring of Railway Board and appointed Vinod Kumar Yadav as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Board. Yadav is currently the chairman of Railway Board.
Reforms in the Railway Board
- In December, the union cabinet had approved organizational restructuring of the 114-year-old Railway Board by its strength from eight to five, including the chairperson, as part of reforms initiated by the national transporter.
- It allowed the Railway Board to be headed by a Chairman who will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). There will be four other members, who will be in charge of infrastructure, rolling stock, finance and operations and business development.
- Three apex level posts – member (staff), member (engineering) and member (materials management) in the Railway Board have been surrendered and the post of member (rolling stock) – have been utilised for creation of the post of director general (HR) in apex grade.
- The Cabinet had also allowed existing services to be merged into a single central service called the Indian Railway Management Service. Unification of services was recommended by various committees for reforming Railways, including the Bibek Debroy committee in 2015.
- Railway Board will no longer be organised on departmental lines, and replaced with leaner structure organised on functional lines.
Organization Structure of the Revised Railway Board:
- Railway Minister
- Minister of State for Railways
- Railway Board Chairman and CEO
- Under the Railway Board Chairman, there will be
. Railway Board member-operations and business development:
Commercial, non-fare revenue, tourism and catering, marketing and business development.
. Railway Board member-infrastructure:
Civil engineering, bridges, signal and telecom, land and amenities.
. Railway Board member-finance:
Accounts, finance, budget, revenue.
. Railway Board member-traction and rolling stock:
Mechanical workshops, locomotives, coaches, traction distribution, electrical maintenance of coaching stock.