36 of the aircraft at a cost of Rs 59,000 crore. efence Minister Rajnath Singh, his French counterpart Florence Parly and India’s top military brass will attend a ceremony in Ambala air base to formally induct five Rafale fighter jets into the Indian Air Force. The first batch of five Rafale jets arrived in India on July 29, nearly four years after India signed an inter-governmental agreement with France to procure
Features of Rafale Aircraft
- The Rafale jets, known for air-superiority and precision strikes, are India’s first major acquisition of fighter planes in 23 year after the Sukhoi jets were imported from Russia.
- Rafale is a fourth-generation jet with both twin generation engines and delta wing. This fighter jet also carries semi-stealth capabilities that can execute nuclear attacks.
- The Rafale fighter jet is a multirole fighter aircraft, designed and manufactured by Dassault Aviation of France.
- The omnirole aircraft comes with a host of weapons and can perform a variety of functions such as aerial reconnaissance, ground support, in-depth strike, anti ship strike and nuclear deterrence.
- It is equipped with buddy-buddy refueling, where one aircraft can lend its fuel to another, while still in flight.
- The Rafale jet is capable of carrying a range of potent weapons. European missile maker MBDA’s Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missile and Scalp cruise missile will be the mainstay of the weapons package of the Rafale jets.
- Scalp missiles are precision long range ground attack missiles, capable of taking out targets within a radius of 300km.
- Meteor is a next generation beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) designed to revolutionise air-to-air combat and has a range of over 100km and a top speed of Mach 4.
- It could carry 6 AASM missiles at a time and each of those missiles have GPS and imaging infrared terminal guidance. It can accurately hit a target with an accuracy of 10m.
- It is also equipped with RBE2 passive electronically scanned radar developed by Thales on board. It has look down and shoot down capabilities that can track upto 8 targets at the same time and prioritize accordingly.