Source: Economic times and The Hindu
The QS global rankings 2020, which was released in London, has 50 new entrants globally and India-based O P Jindal Global University (JGU), established in 2009, has become the youngest university to break into top 1,000 in the prestigious rankings.
- Three Indian institutes – IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi and IISc-Bangalore have found place among the top 200 in the prestigious Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings.
- Top five are; Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Harvard University, University of Oxford and California Institute of Technology.
- IIT-Madras, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Roorkee are also among the top 400 institutes. IIT-Guwahati, ranked 491, saw a decline in its ranking since last year when it was placed at 472.
- The Delhi University improved on its last year’s rank of 487 and is placed at 474 in the latest rankings.
- Other universities that figured in the rankings are Jamia Millia Islamia, Jadavpur University, Aligarh Muslim University, Hyderabad University, Calcutta University and Mumbai University.
- Historically, such rankings have favoured universities oriented towards science, technology, engineering, mathematics disciplines and medicine, but the JGU was the only Indian university focusing on social sciences, arts, humanities and professions such as law, business administration and architecture.
- There are a total of 23 Indian institutions in the top 1,000. While most are government-funded universities, five are privately funded.
- The Manipal Academy of Higher Education, which falls within the 701-750 ranking band, is the top private university in the country.
- Indian science and technology institutions funded by the government scored high in terms of citations per faculty, with the IISc, Bengaluru, achieving a perfect 100 in that indicator.
- For private institutions on the list, on the other hand, it was other indicators such as teacher-student ratio, and international faculty and student populations that propelled them to the top