Why is it in the news?
- Recently, the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) has released a new variety of wheat named Pusa Yashasvi.
- Pusa Yashasvi is also called HD-3226.
- It has higher genetic yield potential (at 79.6 quintals/hectare) as compared to other varieties of wheat.
- it has a higher content of zinc, protein, and gluten which will contribute to the strength and elasticity of the dough.
- The best feature of this variety of wheat is that it is highly resistant against all major rust diseases such as yellow rust among others.
- The best feature of this variety of wheat is that it is highly resistant against all major rust fungi viz. yellow/stripe, brown/leaf, and black/stem.
- It is a conservation agriculture complaint seed.
- Conservation Agriculture is a farming system that promotes minimum soil disturbance (i.e. no tillage), maintenance of a permanent soil cover, and diversification of plant species.
- It enhances biodiversity and natural biological processes above and below the ground surface, which contribute to increased water and nutrient use efficiency and to improved and sustained crop production.