Public Affairs Index-2020 has been released by the Public Affairs Centre (PAC).
- In the annual report the States are ranked on governance performance based on a composite index in the context of sustainable development defined by the three pillars of equity, growth and sustainability.
Large state category –
- Four southern States – Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka stood in the first four ranks
- Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Bihar were at the bottom of the ranking.
Small State category-
- Goa ranked first followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh.
- The worst performers were Manipur, Delhi and Uttarakhand.
Union Territories –
- Chandigarh emerged at the top in the category followed by Puducherry and Lakshadweep.
- Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Andaman, Jammu and Kashmir and Nicobar were the worst performers.
- The Public Affairs Centre (PAC) is a not-for-profit research think tank situated in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- It works at improving the quality of governance in India.
- It is headed by former ISRO chairman K. Kasturirangan.
- The institute conducts research activities in two major fields, public policy and participatory governance.
- It works under four different research groups,
(a) Public Policy Research Group
(b) Environmental Governance Group
(c) Citizen Action Support Group
(d) Participatory Governance Research Group
- The Institute publishes Citizen Report Cards (CRC), research studies to improve public services, work on electoral transparency, public works quality monitoring tools and approaches, and audits of the Right to Information Act and the MGNREGA in India.