Why was it in the news?
The Union Minister for Textiles launched Project SU.RE, a move towards sustainable fashion
What is it?
It is a resolution /promise→ towards clean environment
- Indian fashion/apparel industry.
- RE stands for ‘Sustainable Resolution’ – a firm commitment from the industry to move towards fashion that contributes to a clean environment.
- Minister + Clothing Manufacturers Association of India (CMAI)+ United Nations in India+IMG Reliance, the organizers of Lakmé Fashion Week.
- The signatories have pledged to source/utilize a substantial portion of their total consumption using sustainable raw materials and processes, by the year 2025.
- Resolutions under the Project SURE
The five-point Sustainable Resolution is as follows:
- Understanding of the environmental impact of the current garments that are being produced
- Sourcing of eco-friendly raw materials developing a policy related to it
- Communicate our sustainability initiatives effectively to consumers and media
- Through these actions, shift a significant percentage of our supply chain to a sustainable chain by the year 2025
Highlights of the scheme
- Project SU.RE aims to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals 2030, especially SDG-12 for responsible consumption and production.
- This project will be the first holistic effort by the apparel industry towards gradually introducing a broader framework for establishing critical sustainability goals for the industry.
- The launch of project SU.RE at Lakme Fashion Week was supported by Lensing Eco Vero (which stands for ecologically responsible production of viscose fiber made from the renewable & certified raw material wood) and R Elan which produces Green Gold fiber made from 100% used PET bottles, with one of the lowest carbon footprints globally.