Why in news?
- Google Pixel 4 is launching Motion Sense, a feature with a radar-based Soli sensor, which provides similar touch-sensitive controls.
What’s fresh about this technology?
- Google’s Soli is a purposeful chip for microscopically tracking your movement.
- This uses miniature radar to detect human hand movement in real time; it can track submillimeter motion with great accuracy at high speeds.
- The Soli chip is only 8 mmx 10 mm and included in one unit is a sensor and antenna array, ensuring that even the smallest wearable are ideal for use.
- There are no moveable elements, it uses very little electricity, does not suffer from lighting conditions and works with most materials to make it an innovative piece of technology.
How does Soli chip work for Google?
- The Google Soli chip uses radar so that electromagnetic waves can be emitted with objects inside the radar which reflect data back into the antenna.
- The system collects information about the communicating effects from the reflected signal–things like time delay or frequency shifts.