streamline the procurement procedures, production policies and indigenization initiatives elf-reliance in defence manufacturing is one of the key objectives of the ‘Atma Nirbhar Abhiyan’. The concerted efforts being put in by Department of Defence Production to would assuredly lead to the development and manufacture of indigenous defence products bringing down the dependence on imports thereby restricting outflow of foreign exchange, encourage development of domestic industry, insulate India from external pressure and ensure lifetime spares and service support to the defence equipment.
Products Developed by Defense PSUs and OFB
- Prototype of Nag Missile Carrier (NAMICA) developed by Ordnance Factory Medak in association with DRDL, Hyderabad was launched. NAMICA has the potential for import substitution to the tune of Rs. 260 cr in the first phase, which may go upto more than Rs 3000 cr.
- The other products of Ordnance Factory Board such as the fully indigenous 14.5 mm Anti Material Rifle being manufactured with the existing facilities at Ordnance Factory Trichy, the upgraded Commander’s Thermal Imager Cum Day Sight for T90 Main Battle Tank and the prototype of 8.6×70 mm Sniper developed by Rifle Factory Ishapore for engaging long range targets, were also launched.
- The 150 ton payload capacity Dump Truck, one of the biggest Electric Mining Dump Trucks, and Super Giant Mining Excavator of 180 ton Capacity, both indigenously designed and manufactured with cost benefit of over 20% than the imported equipment are expected to save foreign exchange of Rs.1500 crs and Rs.220 crores respectively.
- GAUR has been developed, which is the BEML medium bullet proof vehicle built on a high mobility chassis, with impressive features and customizable protection levels and custom built Heliportable 100 HP Dozer, with very high indigenization levels of 85 % and 94% respectively.
- The roll out of the 150th Do-228 aircraft by HAL is a milestone in the indigenous manufacture of the proven platform. The christening of the 150th aircraft as IN-259 and customising it as a dedicated platform for Indian Navy in the maritime reconnaissance & intelligence warfare role is a true reflection of the technical prowess of HAL.
- Further, HAL and IISc have joined hands to establish a Skill Development Center at IISc’s Challakere campus in Karnataka. The goal of this center is to create a model facility that would provide skill development programmes for various beneficiaries ranging from local community members to high-end engineering professionals in line with the “Make in India” mission.
- The Linear Variable Differential Transducer fully designed and developed by BEL, which is critical to attain accuracy & precision in guiding and seeking the target, and the launch of 1kW Transmitter Aerial Switching Rack which is an import substitution for HF Aerial Switching Unit, for providing better long-term support to Indian Navy, are genuine indigenized products.
- The Konkurs Launchers Test Equipment designed and developed by Bharat Dynamics Limited, BDL, to check the complete functionality of Konkurs Launcher replacing the earlier imported system from Russia will save foreign exchange of US $ 17.7 Million.
- GRSE’s design and development of the portable pedestrian (assault) bridge, first of its kind made of carbon fibre polymer composite material, to meet the requirements of the Indian Army is a genuine atma nirbhar product.
- The indigenous development of gearbox for the Indian Coast Guard offshore patrol vessels project by GSL is a success story not only in self-reliance but also in partnering with a private company, resulting in saving of Rs 37.50 cr for 5 ship sets due to indigenization.
Some of the products launched will not only cater to the needs of the defence sector but will also be useful for the civil society when needed. DPSUs and Ordnance Factories are national facilities, created and strengthened over a long period of time and have considerable technical prowess and capacity. They also have well-structured R&D and testing facilities and manufacturing capability which should be fully used for indigenous design, development and manufacturing.