In news- Recently, the Government of India announced the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards (PMSA) for the year 2018.
- These awards are to be awarded to 69 workers employed in the Departmental Undertakings & Public Sector Undertakings of the Central and State Governments and Private Sector Units employing 500 or more workers.
- The awards are given in recognition of their distinguished performance, innovative abilities, outstanding contribution in the field of productivity and exhibition of exceptional courage and presence of mind.
- Workmen solely engaged in routine service duties would not be eligible.
Three categories of the Award-
This year the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards are given in three categories namely:
- Shram Bhushan Awards which carry a cash prize of Rs.1,00,000/- each.
- Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Awards which carry a cash prize of Rs. 60,000/- each.
- Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awards which carry a cash prize of Rs.40,000/- each.
About Prime Minister’s Shram Awards-
- The objective of the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards is to recognize the outstanding contributions made by workmen as defined in the Industrial Dispute Act, 1947 in organizations both in the public and private sector.
- It was instituted in 1985.
- It is given to workers who have distinguished record of performance, devotion to duty of a high order, specific contribution in the field of productivity, proven innovative abilities, presence of mind and exceptional courage and also to the workmen who have made supreme sacrifice of laying down their lives in the conscientious discharge of their duties.