In news-The Hon’ble President of India presented the prestigious President’s Colour to INS Valsura, the Navy’s premier technological training establishment on 25th Mar 2022.
About the President’s Colour award-
- It is the highest honor that can bestowed upon a military unit in recognition of exceptional service rendered to the Nation, both in peace and in war.
- It is also known as ′Nishaan′ which is an emblem that will be worn by all unit officers on the left-hand sleeve of their uniform.
- The Indian Navy was the first Indian Armed Force to be awarded the President Colour by Dr Rajendra Prasad on 27 May 1951.
- The presentation of the award or standards by the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of India (President of India) is an acknowledgement of the unit’s meritorious service.
About INS Valsura-
- The legacy of INS Valsura dates back to 1942, when the operational necessity mandated creation of an advanced Torpedo Training Facility to enhance the firepower of the Royal Indian Navy during World War-II.
- The establishment was built on Rozi Island in Jamnagar, donated by ruler of Nawanagar State Colonel Digvijay Singhji Jadeja Sahed Bahadur Jamsaheb for a token rent of ₹1 per annum.
- The establishment was commissioned on December 15, 1942 by Maharani Gulab Kunverba Sahiba of Nawanagar.
- Post India becoming a Republic, the unit was renamed as INS Valsura on 01 Jul 1950.
- Thereon, INS Valsura has transformed itself into an epitome of professional technical training and has exponentially grown to keep pace with the Indian Navy’s modernisation plans.
- The unit has always stayed ahead of the curve to equip the officers and sailors of the Indian Navy with requisite skill-sets to maintain and ensure combat worthiness of the increasingly complex weaponry and electronic systems besides keeping pace with the advancements in Information Technology.
- INS Valsura has also emerged as the preferred training destination for our Friendly Foreign Navies.