Recently the Central government has renamed the Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra and Foreign Service Institute in the national capital after former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for her “invaluable contribution” to Indian diplomacy, the cause of the Indian diaspora and the ethos of public service. While the Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra has been renamed as Sushma Swaraj Bhawan, the Foreign Service Institute will be known as the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
About Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra(Sushma Swaraj Bhawan)
- It is located in New Delhi;it was set up to recognize the contributions of the overseas Indian community to India’s growth and development.
- It was set up based on the recommendation of High-Level Committee on Indian Diaspora, headed by Shri L. M. Singhvi.
- The Foundation Stone of the Kendra was laid by the then P.M. Dr. Manmohan Singh at 9th PBD in January 2011.
- It is a tribute to the overseas Indian community; and commemorates their migration to various parts of the world, the challenges they faced abroad, their achievements and contributions
- The Kendra houses the autonomous bodies such as India Centre for Migration, a think-tank working on issues pertaining to Indian migrant workers and the India Development Foundation for Overseas Indians, a not-for-profit Trust promoting contributions to flagship programmes in India
Foreign Service Institute/ Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service
- It was established in 1986 by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, primarily to cater to the professional training needs of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officers inducted via UPSC every year.
- Over the years, SSIFS diversified its activities to include Mid-Career Training Programmes at various levels, the training programme for First Time Heads of Mission, training programme for Commercial Representatives posted in Indian Missions abroad, training programme for Defence Attaches posted to join our Embassies around the world, orientation courses for deputationists and members of other Civil Services, courses of relevance to non-Representational Grade officials of the Ministry as also courses for foreign diplomats as a way to build bridges of friendship and cooperation with countries around the world.
- The Courses and Programmes conducted by the SSIFS for foreign diplomats are designed to serve as an introduction to the principles and practices of diplomacy, current and emerging issues in international relations, as well as the salient features of India’s history and culture as they impinge upon her foreign policy.
- These Courses and Programmes are fully funded by the Government of India and organized in the spirit of South-South Cooperation.
- The Professional Course for Foreign Diplomats (PCFD), which is SSIFS’s flagship programme for foreign diplomats, was launched in 1992.