In news– Recently, DRDO conducted the maiden flight test of indigenously developed surface-to-surface missile ‘Pralay’ from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
About Pralay missile-
- Pralay is a new-generation short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile.
- It is powered by a solid-propellant rocket motor and many new technologies.
- It can hit the target at a range of 150 to 500 kilometers with an accuracy of less than 10 meters.
- It has been developed in a way to be able to defeat interceptor missiles.
- It has the ability to change its path after covering a certain range mid-air.
- The missile, which can be launched from a mobile launcher, has a guidance system that includes state-of-the-art navigation mechanisms and integrated avionics.
- It is the amalgamation of technologies developed for exoatmospheric interceptor missile Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) from Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Programme and Prahaar tactical missile.