In news : Under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) setting up of 22 new AIIMS has been sanctioned.
What is Under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY)?
- PMSSY aims at correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- It envisages setting up of AIIMS-like institutes and upgradation of existing Government Medical Colleges/ Institutions in various parts of the country.
- PMSSY was first launched in March 2006 with the primary objective of correcting the imbalances in availability of affordable/reliable tertiary level healthcare in the country in general and to augment facilities for quality medical education in the under-served States.
Phases under PMSSY
The first phase in the PMSSY has two components – setting up of six institutions in the line of AIIMS; and upgradation of 13 existing Government medical college institutions.
- Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions.
- Each New AIIMS to add:
- State of the art Modular OTs and diagnostics facilities.
- 15-20 super specialty departments.
- 750 Beds.
- 100 UG (MBBS) seats.
- 60 B.Sc. (Nursing ) seats.
- Focus on PG education and Research.
- Total 22 new AIIMS have been announced so far under this component:-
- 6 AIIMS are already functional.
- 16 more AIIMS are approved by the Cabinet.
Upgradation of Government Medical College(GMC)/ Institutions.
- Each up-gradation project would be adding :-
- 8-10 Super Speciality Departments.
- Around 15 new PG seats.
- 150-250 beds
- 75 Projects have been considered under this component under different phases
In the second phase of PMSSY, the Government has approved the setting up of two more AIIMS-like institutions, one each in the States of West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh and upgradation of six medical college institutions
In the third phase of PMSSY, it is proposed to upgrade the existing medical college institutions in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh