Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
About the campaign
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) is a fixed day strategy, every month across the country during which a range of quality maternal health services are envisaged to be provided as part of Antenatal Care.
- Under the campaign, a minimum package of antenatal care services is to be provided to the beneficiaries on the 9th day of every month at the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Clinics to ensure that every pregnant woman receives at least one checkup in the 2nd/ 3rd trimester of pregnancy. If the 9th day of the month is a Sunday / a holiday, then the Clinic should be organized on the next working day.
Reduce maternal and infant mortality rates through safe pregnancies and safe deliveries.
All Pregnant Women who are in the 2nd & 3rd Trimesters of pregnancy.
- To provide fixed-day assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care universally to all pregnant women on the 9th of every month free of cost.
- One of the critical components of the Abhiyan is identification and follow-up of high risk pregnancies.
- Private sector doctors would support the initiatives of the government.
- This scheme is available for both rural and urban areas.
Provision of services during PMSMA
- All the beneficiaries visiting the Facility are first registered in a separate register for Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA).
- After registration, ANM & SN ensures that all basic laboratory investigations are done before the beneficiary is examined by the OBGY /Medical Officer. The report of the investigations should ideally be handed over within an hour and before the beneficiaries are meeting the doctors for further checkups. This will ensure identification of High Risk status (like anemia, gestational diabetes, hypertension, infection etc.) at the time of examination and further advice. In certain cases, where additional investigations are required, beneficiaries are to be advised to get those investigations done and share the report during the next PMSMA or during her routine ANC check – up visit.
- Lab Investigations – USG, & all basic investigations – Hb , Urine Albumin, RBS (Dipstick), Rapid Malaria test, Rapid VDRL test, Blood Grouping, CBC ESR, USG.
Public Health Facilities to access services under PMSMA
- Rural Areas – Primary Health Centers, Community Health Centers, Rural Hospitals, Sub – District Hospital, District Hospital, Medical College Hospital
- Urban Areas – Urban Dispensaries, Urban Health Posts, Maternity Homes