In news– On the occasion of Teacher’s Day (September 6), the Prime Minister of India has announced development and upgradation of 14,500 schools across India under the PM-SHRI Yojana.
Key features of the scheme-
- PM SHRI will provide high-quality education in an equitable, inclusive and joyful school environment that takes care of the diverse background, multilingual needs, and different academic abilities of children and makes them active participants in their own learning process as per the vision of NEP 2020.
- These schools will provide leadership to other schools in their respective regions by providing mentorship.
- These schools will be developed as Green schools, incorporating environment friendly aspects like solar panels and LED lights, nutrition gardens with natural farming, waste management, plastic free, water conservation and harvesting, study of traditions/practices related to protection of environment, climate change related hackathon and awareness generation to adopt sustainable lifestyle.
- Pedagogy adopted in these schools will be more experiential, holistic, integrated, play/toy-based (particularly, in the foundational years) inquiry-driven, discovery-oriented, learner-centred, discussion-based, flexible and enjoyable.
- Focus will be on learning outcomes of every child in every grade.
- Assessment at all levels will be based on conceptual understanding and application of knowledge to real life situations and will be competency-based.
- Assessment of the resources available and their effectiveness in terms of availability, adequacy, appropriateness, and utilisation for each of the domains and their key performance indicators will be done and gaps will be filled in a systematic and planned manner.
- Linkage with Sector Skill Councils and local industry for enhancing employability and providing better employment opportunities will be explored.
- A School Quality Assessment Framework (SQAF) is being developed, specifying the key performance indicators to measure outcomes.
- Quality evaluation of these schools at regular intervals will be undertaken to ensure the desired standards.
- PM SHRI Schools would be implemented through the existing administrative structure available for Samagra Shiksha, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan(KVS) & Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS).
- Every child counselled for psychological well-being and career.
- Each school linked/connected to Higher Education Institutions for mentoring.
- Students will be rooted to knowledge and heritage of India, proud of civilizational ethos and values of Bharat, aware of India’s contribution to the world and furthering the spirit of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat’.
- These schools shall be monitored vigorously to assess progress and understand the challenges faced in implementation of National Education Policy 2020.
- The PM SHRI schools will deliver quality teaching for the cognitive development of students and will strive to create and nurture holistic and well-rounded individuals equipped with key 21st century skills.
- The scheme is to be implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme with a total project cost of Rs. 27360 crore which includes a central share of Rs. 18128 crore for the period of five years from year 2022-23 to 2026-27.
Selection of schools-
- Selection of PM SHRI schools will be done through Challenge Mode wherein Schools compete for support to become exemplar schools.
- Schools would be required to self-apply on the online portal. The portal will be opened four times a year, once every quarter, for the first two years of the scheme.
- The Elementary schools (Class 1-5/1-8) & the Secondary/ Sr. Secondary Schools (Class1-10/1-12/6-10/6-12) managed by Centre/State/UT Governments / local self-governments having UDISE+ code would be considered for selection under the Scheme.
- Geo-tagging of schools for the selection and monitoring of PM SHRI schools will be done.
- The services of Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG-N) will be taken for geo-tagging and other related tasks.
- An Expert committee would be constituted for final selection of schools.
Interventions of the Scheme-
Major illustrative interventions of Scheme of PM SHRI Schools are:
- Quality and Innovation (Learning Enhancement Programme, Holistic Progress Card, Innovative Pedagogies, Bagless days, Internships with Local artisans, Capacity building etc.).
- Beneficiary oriented entitlements under RTE Act. 100% of PM SHRI Schools will receive Science and Math Kits.
- Annual School Grants (Composite School grants, Library grant, Sports grant).
- Early Childhood Care and Education including Balvatika and Foundational Literacy and Numeracy.
- Equity and Inclusion including provision of safe and appropriate infrastructure for girls and CWSN.
- Encouraging flexibility in choice of subjects offered to students.
- Encouraging mother tongue/local languages as medium of instruction using technological interventions to help bridge language barriers.
- ICT, smart classrooms and digital libraries for using digital pedagogy.
- 100% of the PM SHRI Schools will be covered under ICT, smart classrooms and digital initiatives.
- Vocational interventions & Enhancing internship / entrepreneurship opportunities especially with local industry.
- Mapping of skills with developmental projects/nearby industry and develop courses/curriculum accordingly.
- Science labs, Library, ICT facility and Vocational labs etc. will be provided to all the schools.