he overarching vision of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) is to ensure access to means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ‘per drop more crop’, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
Features of PMKSY
- PMKSY has been conceived amalgamating ongoing schemes:
. Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of the Ministry of Water Resources (MoWR)
[Focus on faster completion of ongoing major and medium irrigation including national projects].
. Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (DoLR)
. On Farm Water Management (OFWM) of Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
- PMKSY has an outlay of Rs.50,000 crores for a period of 5 years (2015-16 to 2019-20) to achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level.
Implementation of the Scheme
- The Ministry of Rural Development is to mainly undertake
. rain water conservation
. construction of farm ponds
. water harvesting structures
. small check dams and contour bunding
- MoWR is to undertake various measures for:
. creation of assured irrigation source (Har Khet Ko Pani)
. construction of diversion canals
. field channels
. water diversion/ lift irrigation
. development of water distribution systems (Watershed Management)
- The Ministry of Agriculture will promote:
. efficient water conveyance and precision water application devices like drips, sprinklers (Per Drop More Crop)
. construction of micro-irrigation structures to supplement source creation activities
. extension activities for promotion of scientific moisture conservation
. agronomic measures
Structure of the Scheme
- Programme architecture of PMKSY will be to adopt a ‘decentralized State level planning and projectized execution’ structure that will allow States to draw up their own irrigation development plans based on District Irrigation Plan (DIP) and State Irrigation Plan (SIP).
- State Level Sanctioning Committee (SLSC) chaired by the Chief Secretary of the State will be vested with the authority to oversee its implementation and sanction projects.
- The programme will be supervised and monitored by an Inter-Ministerial National Steering Committee (NSC) constituted under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister with Union Ministers from concerned Ministries.
- A National Executive Committee (NEC) will be constituted under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog to oversee programme implementation, allocation of resources, inter ministerial coordination, monitoring & performance assessment and addressing administrative issues.