housing for all in urban areas radhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) for ensuring was launched on 25th June 2015 providing pucca houses to all eligible beneficiaries by 2022. PMAY(U) adopts a demand driven approach wherein the housing shortage is decided based on demand assessment by States/ Union Territories.
Features of PMAY-U
- A basket of options is adopted to ensure more number of people are covered depending on their income, finance and availability of land through the following four options:
. “In-situ” Slum Redevelopment (ISSR)
. Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS)
. Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP)
. Beneficiary-led individual house construction/ enhancements (BLC)
- ISSR: Central assistance of Rs.1 lakh per house is admissible for all houses built for eligible slum dwellers, using land as resource with participation of private developers.
- CLSS: Interest subsidy up to 2.67 lakh per house is admissible for beneficiaries of Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/ Low Income Group (LIG), Middle Income Group (MIG)-I and Middle Income Group (MIG)-II seeking housing loans from banks, housing finance companies and other such institutions for acquiring/ constructing houses.
- AHP: Central assistance of Rs.1.5 lakh per EWS house is provided by Government of India in projects where at least 35% of the houses in the projects are for EWS category and a single project has at least 250 houses.
- BLC: Central assistance of Rs.1.5 lakh is available to individual eligible families belonging to EWS categories to either construct new houses or enhance existing houses on their own to cover the beneficiaries who are not able to take advantage of any other component of the mission.
- NHB, HUDCO and SBI have been identified as Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) to channelize this subsidy to the lending institutions and for monitoring the progress of this component. The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs may notify other Institutions as CNA in future.
- Preference under the scheme will be given to manual scavengers, women (with overriding preference to widows), persons belonging to scheduled castes/ scheduled tribes/ other backward classes, minorities, persons with disabilities and transgenders subject to beneficiaries being from EWS/ LIG segments.
Beneficiaries Under PMAY-U
- A beneficiary is defined as a family consisting of husband, wife and unmarried children. Such beneficiary should not own a pucca house either in his/ her name or in the name of any member of his/ her family in any part of India to receive central assistance under the mission.
- Person having a pucca house less than 21 sqm may be included under enhancement of existing house.
- Adult earning member irrespective of marital status are also eligible
- PMAY(U) has made a mandatory provision for the female head of the family to be the owner or co-owner of the house under this mission.
- The EWS category of beneficiaries is eligible for assistance in all four verticals of the missions whereas the LIG/ MIG category is eligible under only the CLSS component of the mission.