Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition he Prime Minister’s or POSHAN Abhiyaan or National Nutrition Mission (NNM), is Government of India’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, pregnant women and lactating mothers. Launched by the Prime Minister on the occasion of the International Women’s Day on 8 March, 2018 from Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan, the POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) Abhiyaan directs the attention of the country towards the problem of malnutrition and address it in a mission-mode.
The NNM, as an apex body, will monitor, supervise, fix targets and guide the nutrition related interventions across the Ministries.
The proposal consists of:
- mapping of various Schemes contributing towards addressing malnutrition
- introducing a very robust convergence mechanism
- ICT based real time monitoring system
- incentivizing States/ UTs for meeting the targets
- incentivizing anganwadi workers (AWWs) for using IT based tools
- introducing measurement of height of children at the anganwadi centres (AWCs)
- social audits
- setting up nutrition resource centres
- involving masses for their participation through Jan Andolan on nutrition through various activities, among others.
The programme through the targets will strive to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies. It will create synergy, ensure better monitoring, issue alerts for timely action, and encourage States/ UTs to perform, guide and supervise the line Ministries and achieve the targeted goals. NNM targets to reduce stunting, undernutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively.
There are a number of schemes directly/ indirectly affecting the nutritional status of children (0-6 years age) and pregnant women and lactating mothers. Inspite of these, level of malnutrition and related problems in the country is high. There is no dearth of schemes but lack of creating synergy and linking the schemes with each other to achieve common goal. NNM through a robust convergence mechanism and other components would strive to create the synergy.