In News: Aimed at migrant workers, the government launched the Shramik Setu, an online portal.
Key points of the scheme
- In this Shramik Setu project, unorganised sector workers will be able to apply online and avail benefits of the central government’s insurance and pension schemes.
- It includes labourers welfare schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and PM Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Yojana (PMSYM).
- If migrant workers move to a different city or state, then such migrant workers would also be able to update their status.
- All those people who are working in the unorganised sector will have to register on the portal using their Aadhaar or bank account numbers.
- Both skilled and unskilled laborers will be able to register themselves on the Shramik Setu portal.
- It is mandatory for the person registering on the portal to be over 18 years of age.
- Applicant should have his Aadhaar card.
- It is mandatory for the person registering to have his mobile number.
- If the person registering does not have a bank account, he will not be able to apply.
- The migrant laborers register themselves in any state through Shramik Setu Portal 2020 or PM Shramik App.
- The economic condition of the workers will improve.
- Migration of workers from different states will be prevented.
- The unemployment rate of the country will decrease.
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Anybody who has an Aadhaar number with a linked bank account and falls in the age- bracket of 18-50 years can enrol for the same.
- The annual premium for the scheme is Rs. 330 which has to be automatically debited from the subscriber’s bank account. Anyone can either renew the scheme annually or opt for the long-term provision in which case the amount will be automatically deducted from the
- The scheme will be majorly implemented by Life Insurance Corporation of India. Other insurers can also join if willing.
- Like the other insurance schemes which have been launched by GOI in the budget 2015-16, this too will receive funding from other ministries or the Public Welfare Fund. The publicity expenditure will be borne by the government.
Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-Dhan Yojana
- PM-SYM is a voluntary and contributory pension scheme that will engage as many as 42 crore workers in the unorganised sector.
- The unorganised sector workers, with income of less than Rs 15,000 per month and who belong to the entry age group of 18-40 years, will be eligible for the scheme.
- Those workers should not be covered under New Pension Scheme (NPS), Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) scheme or Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO).
- He or she should not be an income tax payer.
- Minimum Assured Pension: Each subscriber under the scheme will receive a minimum assured pension of Rs 3000 per month after attaining the age of 60 years.
- In case of death during receipt of pension: If the subscriber dies during the receipt of pension, his or her spouse will be entitled to receive 50 percent of the pension as family pension. This family pension is applicable only to spouses.
- In case of death before the age of 60 years: If a beneficiary has given regular contribution and dies before attaining the age of 60 years, his or her spouse will be entitled to continue the scheme subsequently by payment of regular contribution or may even exit the scheme.
Contribution to the scheme
- Contribution by the Subscriber: The subscriber is required to contribute the prescribed contribution amount from the age of joining the scheme till the age of 60 years.
- Medium of contribution: The subscriber can contribute to the PM-SYM through ‘auto-debit’ facility from his or her savings bank account or from his or her Jan- Dhan account.
Equal contribution by the Central Government: Under the PM-SYM, the prescribed age-specific contribution by the beneficiary and the matching contribution by the Central Government will be made on a ‘50:50 basis’.