Source: The New Indian Express & ESIC
Pehchan’ cards scheme is a part of the initiative of Union Textile Ministry to register and provide identity cards to handicraft artisans and link them to a national database.
What is Pehchan card?
It is a newly upgraded ID card for artisans that will be linked with their Aadhaar numbers and bank accounts so that they can receive direct cash-transfer benefits.
- All Insured Persons will be issued with two magnetic cards, one for the Insured persons & the other for family members
- The central database will be created with demographic and biometric details of Insured persons and their families.
- Insured Persons and their family members can avail treatment in any ESI Hospital or dispensary across India.
- Besides the ID card will enable the artisans to avail easy loans at a four percent interest rate and they get the benefit of life insurance and `1200 per year for their children studying between Class IX and Class XII.
- Biometric details (fingerprints) to verify and authenticate Insured Persons and their families through card swipe.
- Employers can submit their Return of Contribution online
- Employers can collect information on employees’ benefits availed by respective employees online.
- One time registration. Employees will carry forward with the same set of cards every time they change employment.
- Duplication of enrolment can be avoided