In news– Results of Patent Agent Examination (PAE) 2022 have been announced recently. PAE-2022 was conducted in May 2022, after a gap of four years due to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Who are Patent Agents?
- Patent agent is a person, authorized by law to deal with patent applications. They are engaged in protecting intellectual property and preventing infringement.
- Patent agent as defined under Section 2(n) of the India Patent Act, 1970 is a person who is registered under the patent act as a patent agent. The definition under the act defines who is a patent agent.
- They are the torch bearers of the inquisitive minds that indulge in creating new inventions with wide social applications.
- They represent the IP creators before the Patent Office by highlighting the invention’s patentability for getting protection.
- They represent the inventor as an IP Expert who can assist the inventor in the IP Protection of the invention.
- The qualified Patent Agents in PEA-2022 will be given the opportunity to undergo training at the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Intellectual Property Management (RGNIIPM), Nagpur, a flagship centre of excellence in IP-related awareness generation.
- The Department of Industrial promotion and policy conducts this exam every year.
- One will be a registered patent agent after passing this exam.