Passes in Western Ghats
Thal Ghat Pass (Kasara Ghat)
- Connects: Mumbai to Nashik
- This is a famous mountain pass in Sahyadri range of Western Ghats.
- This pass is located in Kasara, Thane district of Maharashtra and lies en route to Mumbai from Nashik.
- Western ghat mountain ranges are not continuous and provide passage (pass) at various locations to reach from eastern part to western part of these range.
- One of these pass is Kasara ghat, while other important passes are Bhor ghat, Palakkad (Pal ghat) etc.
Bhor Ghat Pass
- Connects:Mumbai to Pune via Khopoli
- Bhor ghat is a mountain pass which is located near Khandala, Maharashtra which is the famous hill station of Sahyadri range.
- This passage provides easy connectivity between Mumbai and Khopoli.
Palakkad Gap (Pal Ghat)
- Connects: Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu to Palakkad, Kerala
- This is a low altitude mountain pass located in Palakkad in kerala.
- Palakkad is situated in Western ghats and surrounded by Nilgiri hills and Anaimalai hills from north and south respectively.
- The southern part of western ghats virtually separates entire Kerala from Tamil Nadu except the passage of Palakkad gap.
- There is historical evidence which prove many Tamils migrated using these passes in medieval times and settled in and around Palakkad. This pass was also used for trading purposes.
Amba Ghat Pass
- Connects: Ratnagiri district to Kolhapur.
- This pass is located near Sahuwadi of Kolhapur district.
Chorla Ghat Pass
- Chorla ghat mountain pass lies at the trisection of the borders of Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goa.
- This place is an attraction center for nature lovers because of the serene beauty of Sahyadri range.
Malshej Ghat Pass
- Malshej Ghat can be reached while travelling from Kalyan to Ahmednagar.
- This pass is also located in Sahyadri range of Western ghats. Malshej ghat is popularly known for its wild life including different varieties of birds.
- Connects: Pune district with Junnar city.
- This mountain pass also lies in the Sahyadri range of western ghats which is situated near Junnar and just 55 Km from Kalyan.
- Shivneri fort which lies in Junnar is the birth place of Shivaji, the great Maratha ruler. In ancient times during the rule of Satvahans in this region this pass was used for trade and commerce. Toll was used to collect from the traders crossing this pass.
- Connects: Talukas of Mulshi and Tamhini in Pune district.
- This passage is located on the verge of Sahyadri mountain range of western ghats.
- This place is known for its scenic waterfalls and lush greenery during monsoon periods.
Amboli Ghat Pass
- Connects: Sawantwadi of Maharashtra to Belgaum of Karnataka.
- Situated in Western ghat mountains and is located in Sindhudurg district of south Maharashtra.
Kumbharli Ghat Pass
- Kumbharli ghat is a mountain pass of western ghats which provides connectivity between Konkan and Desh regions of Maharashtra.
- It provides passage between Ratnagiri and Satara districts. Kumbharli ghat is known for a number of waterfalls during monsoon season.