In news– Recently, the Union Budget for 2022-23 announced the National Ropeways Development Programme – “Parvat Mala” to improve connectivity in hilly areas.
About Parvat Mala scheme-
- The scheme will be taken up on PPP mode, which will be a preferred ecologically sustainable alternative in place of conventional roads in difficult hilly areas.
- The idea is to improve connectivity and convenience for commuters, besides promoting tourism.
- This may also cover congested urban areas, where conventional mass transit systems are not feasible.
- The scheme is being presently started in regions like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Manipur, Jammu & Kashmir and the other North Eastern states.
- The initiative will provide a boost to the transportation sector by establishing a regulatory framework.
- In addition, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will be in charge of ropeway and alternative transportation solutions, technology development, as well as construction, research, and policy in this field.
- The budget allocation for this scheme includes the creation of an institutional, financial, and regulatory framework for the technology.
Advantages of Ropeways-
- Economical mode of transportation: Given that ropeway projects are built in a straight line over a hilly terrain, it also results in lower land acquisition costs.
- Faster mode of transportation: Owing to the aerial mode of transportation, ropeways have an advantage over roadway projects where ropeways can be built in a straight line, over a hilly terrain.
- Environmentally friendly: Low dust emissions. Material containers can be designed so as to rule out any soiling of the environment.
- Last mile connectivity: Ropeway projects adopting 3S (a kind of cable car system) or equivalent technologies can transport 6000-8000 passengers per hour.
- Ideal for difficult / challenging / sensitive terrain: This mode of transportation will enable mobility to people living in difficult areas and help them become part of the mainstream.
- Flexible: Transport of different materials – A ropeway allows for the simultaneous transport of different types of material.
- Ability to handle large slopes: Ropeways and cableways (cable cranes) can handle large slopes and large differences in elevation.